Important Work Permit Notes
- All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit.
- Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and meet adequate academic progress in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork of the minor is being impaired by the employment.
- A student must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and be passing at least 4 classes with no unexcused absences.
- Escondido Union High School District issues work permits for minors residing within the district boundaries and enrolled in district schools.
- Work Permits must be renewed at the start of the school year or when the student obtains a new job.
Hours Minors Are Allowed to Work During the School Year
- 4 hours maximum per day Monday-Thursday
- 8 hours maximum per day Friday-Sunday
- 32 total hours per week
- Hours must be completed between 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Hours can be 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. if no school the next day (Fri/Sat nights)
- 3 hours maximum per day Monday-Friday
- 8 hours maximum per day Saturday-Sunday
- 18 total hours per week
- Hours must be completed between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.